Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I don't have time to work out.

I just don't.
You know how so many people say they don't have time to work out?  Or they're too tired by the time they do have a minute?  It's true.  It takes tremendous effort for the average person (i.e. me) to get to the gym 4-5 days a week!  Sure, there are days where all the stars align and it's easy, but the majority of the time, it's really hard!  I try to schedule M-W-F: CrossFit and Tu-Th-Sat: Zumba.  It works on paper! But then real life and my J-O-B kick in and all hell breaks loose!  See, Tues and Thurs my son has to be dropped off at preK at the same time CrossFit starts so those days CrossFit is out but they work perfect for Zumba at night, BUT weeks like these, my daughter has to cheer  Mon, Tues AND Thurs at basketball games. So, here I am.  What to do, what to do....well, there's the obvious (for some) and easy choice: No Zumba this week!  No big deal!  There's always next week- but wait, she cheers next week too.  Well, next week is her official last week of cheer so that's good!  But wait there's more!! (<---in my infomercial voice) There will probably be some type of tournament after that.  Then before we know it we are headed into Softball and Teeball for the siblings.  It. Doesn't. End.

I'm not going on and on about my schedule in hopes of someone offering to come super nanny and chauffeur my kids for free!  I don't want to lose my job!  That's why I make the big bucks! And by 'big bucks' I mean kisses and beautiful coloring pages saying "I love you mom" to go on my fridge.  I say all this to show, it really is hard to fit in a consistent exercise routine, even for the (gasp) stay at home mom.  Now, I am left with a decision to miss juuuuust one game of my daughter cheering this week (out of SIX!) and feel the pang of mommy guilt (what will all the other mommies think?!?  will my daughter be scarred for life???)  or to be selfish. Yes, selfish.  Take this one hour away from everyone else and go to Zumba.  Not because I will die if I miss this one class but because it will always be something.  I have to learn to make. It. Work.  Fit it in.  Go above and beyond and juggle the schedule until I can squeeze in 1 hour for me a day to get healthier.  I have to hope my kids and husband (and maybe the other moms?  No.  They think I suck.) will understand that I'm doing this for all of us!  I have to believe that it's sending a good positive message to my kids that being fit and getting daily exercise has to have a place in our daily activities. 

There are days when my schedule allows me to go but I am exhausted  ....I still try to push myself to go.  It's easy to go to the gym when everything lines up, your schedule is clear, you've had just the right amount of caffeine and you're feeling on top of the world!  I'm learning the difference in those that make true progress and those that don't are the ones that really push themselves to go when every bone in their body is yelling nooooo!  Go sit down and relax!!! You've earned it! I'm learning that the difference in those that make true progress and those that don't are the ones that find a way to get there, day after day, after day!  I always thought that people that went to the gym were 'gym people.'  Obviously not 'normal' people like me!  But I'm starting to realize, those are just everyday people that know that you have to make some sacrifices and get there.  They did that and now they look like 'gym people.' 

*sigh*  I'm rambling.  I guess my point is, it really is true when people say they don't have the time to exercise.  They just have to make it.   Tonight, I'm making the time. **pang**

XOXO,
a

No comments:

Post a Comment